Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Guess It's A Brand New Day After All.....

This past week was a week of several exciting adventures.  The first adventure revolves around finalizing everything for school.  I got my financial aide in order, registered for 3 classes and went through orientation.  My plan is to have my certificate completed in the spring, get a full time job in a rehab center, finish the classes I need for the graduate program, take my GMATS, and apply for the program by the deadline of January 15th.  We'll see how well that works out....

2011-05-26 15.07.01.jpg  

Otherwise, my friend Martha came into town with her husband.  I didn't get to spend a lot of time with them because they had so many people to see.  The first day, we went to Salem and toured the Witches' Museum, the Salem Maritime Historical Park and then walked to the House of Seven Gables.  Then we had a picnic outside in the gorgeous weather.  It was a very nice day.

The House of Seven Gables was made famous by Nathaniel Hawthorne's book of the same name.  Hawthorne's cousin, Susannah Ingersoll owned the house and was one of the people who supported his writing endeavors the most, so he wrote the book as a tribute to her.  The home was originally built as a two room home in 1668, but was added onto, taken apart, added onto again.  In the 1950's, the birthplace of Nathaniel Hawthorne was moved to the lot as well.  The best part of the house is a secret staircase that was added almost 100 years ago to make an event from the book seem realistic.

The grounds were gorgeous, overlooking the water.  Fragrant lilac blooms were everywhere.  I swear, I've never smelled flowers as fragrant as the flowers up here.  First, the magnolias, now the lilacs...The sweet smell permeates the air.  It's wonderful.


Beautiful arbor

Beautiful lilacs

The house where Nathaniel Hawthorne was born and lived for the first 4 years of his life.

Where we ate lunch

This past Thursday, my sister helped make one of my childhood dreams come true.  When we were little, as in, Diana was 6, Kerry was 13, whenever she would babysit me, we would dress up as our favorite New Kid on the Block and perform the entire New Kids on the Block concert from the Hangin' Tough video that our grandparents had gotten us.  I dressed up like Joey Joe complete with the hat and a construction paper smiley face we would tape to my shirt, Kerry dressed up like Jordan with the vests, and Kerry's friend Natalie dressed up like Donnie.  We sang into hairbrushes and put on a really good show, if I do admit myself. 

Kerry's birthday is coming up and she asked Boz if she could get tickets to the concert for her birthday.  He agreed under the condition that he wouldn't have to go.  Out of all of Kerry's friends who love NKOTB, she invited me to go.  I was touched.  

The concert was at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut which was only an hour and a half from the Bosworth's house.  Unfortunately, as soon as I left, I realized that I had a completely flat tire.  After I sweet talked a guy at the gas station to put the spare on for me, I was on my way.  I was only a little late to get to Newport and we headed out.  We reached the Mohegan Sun and went in search of something to eat.

The Mohegan Sun

The Backstreet Boys were playing too, which is why it was called NKOTBSB...New Kids On the Block/BackStreet Boys

We ate at a place called the Summer Shack

YAY!!!!!

The concert was awesome.  I was amazed that I still knew all of the words to the songs.  The Backstreet Boys, who wrote mostly ballads in the late 90's weren't great.  I noticed that NKOTB had everyone on their feet dancing, but whenever BSB came out on stage, everyone sat down.  

Now, the boys of NKOTB range in age from 43-39, but let me tell you, they still have the moves.  I was amazed at how high energy they were.  They were singing and dancing and jumping around like 20 year olds. I know that the 40's are the new 30's, but....

I officially changed my preference from Joey to Donnie.  Mr. Donnie Wahlberg is a HOTTIE.  I now understand the appeal.  And when he ripped his tanktop from his body...all of the girls in the audience were swooning.  He is officially my new boyfriend.  Ha!

My new favorite New Kid...

"You've got the right stuff....baby!"

Looking Snazzy in their white suits...

Kerry's favorite...Jordan!

Donnie in the audience

All of the NKOTB are from Boston (something I just learned), so there were several shout-outs to Boston in the concert.  For the finale, the band started playing "Shipping Up to Boston", one of my favorite songs from the band The Dropkick Murphys.  It has a very distinct beginning and since I've been up here, I've heard it everywhere from a marching band in a parade, to waiting in line to see Santa at the mall.  Anyone who lives or has ever lived in Massachusetts knows this song...


NKOTB came out in Celtics jerseys and one of the Celtics players (I can't remember whom) was there to take on the finale with them.  It was awesome.  We had an amazing time.  Chalk it up to one more awesome memory with my sister. 

The next day, we spent the morning running errands, and finally went to the playground.  

We played with hats at Wal Mart...


Tried to master the pinwheel...unsuccessfully

Started to try to flip




Reagan mastered flipping over the bar all by herself!  We were so impressed!!  Aunt Di tried to go across the monkey bars too.  I ended up falling flat on my back, knocking the wind out of my lungs, scraping my elbow, and doing something to my back and neck.  Kerry was laughing so hard she couldn't even ask me if I was ok, and as soon as I could breathe again, I started laughing too.  Kerry was upset that she hadn't filmed it because we would have won $10,000 on AFHV for sure.

Finally, Boz and I went to the movies to see The Hangover 2.  It was ok.  Same story as the first one, just different jokes.  Some of the girls from work loved it and thought the story was so creative....but, I guess I just think you can't top the first.  

That was my crazy, fun week.  Here's to hoping many more weeks are happy and busy like this one!



1 comment:

  1. You've had a busy week! Be sure to take us to Salem and The House of 7 Gables sometime. They're both places I want to go. Love you! xxxxxooooooooooMom

    ReplyDelete