Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring is Springing...

Recently, the weather up here has been getting steadily warmer.  I love the spring.  I feel an awakening after a long winter, almost like I've come out of hibernation.  In Washington DC, spring is market by the cherry blossoms blooming.  Several weeks ago, when I went home, I went to Washington DC to visit a friend and the cherry blossoms were starting to bloom.  With the new buds comes a new hope and new opportunities.  We can get outside again and it just seems like the world is in our hands.

One of my favorite parts of spring - Beautiful Blooming Cherry Blossoms

While driving through Quincy last week, I noticed a field blanketed in beautiful purple flowers, which I will now call Purple Blanket Flowers.  I needed to find out what was going on so I pulled over.  Turns out the field is a part of the Adams National Historic Site where John Adams (2nd US pres) and John Quincy Adams (6th US pres) lived. I went in the gates, unsure if I was trespassing or not, and started taking pictures.  Turms out I was not trespassing, and it was a beautiful reminder that spring is on its way!!
Fields Blanketed in Teeny Purple Flowers

A New Awakening

Not yet awake mixed with new blooms

Daffodil Splendor

I've had to work the last few days, and today was the first truly beautiful day I had off.  I was going to try to hang out at the Public Garden in Boston, but at the last minute, I found out about the Arnold Arboretum.


The Arnold Arboretum was a gift from two wills, deeded to Harvard University.  It consists of 265 acres of impeccably maintained gardens, paths, and trees.  "The Arboretum is privately endowed as a department of Harvard University. The land, however, was deeded to the City of Boston in 1882 and incorporated into the so-called "Emerald Necklace". Under the agreement with the City, Harvard University was given a thousand-year lease on the property, and the University, as trustee, is directly responsible for the development, maintenance, and operation of the Arboretum; the City retains responsibility for water fountains, benches, roads, boundaries, and policing." (Wikipedia)

The Arboretum was in an area of Boston I am unfamiliar with.  I had been told that the Dorchester/Roxbury/Jamacia Plain areas of Boston were very rough neighborhoods and I should stay away.  Well, I would give my first born to live in one of the gorgeous huge houses I passed on the way there or one of the gorgeous huge houses overlooking the arboretum.  

Some of the homes overlooking the arboretum

The first thing I saw as I walked in the gates were gorgeous blooming magnolia trees.  The scent of a magnolia filled the air as the slight breeze ruffled, erm, messed up my hair.

The day was spectacular.  It was warm with a beautiful breeze blowing.  The birds were chirping, the sun kissed my nose and cheeks, the breeze swirled my skirt around my legs.  In the moment I was in, it couldn't have been more perfect.  I walked around the arboretum and took pictures of the foliage starting to peek up. 

Beautiful Unidentified Flowers

Magnolia Blooms

More Purple Blanket Flowers

Just peeking out!

Still Working on Leaves

Beautiful Daphodils

A Scattering of Purple Blanket Flowers

An Unidentified Pink Flower

Weeds or a Happy Accident?

Blue Skies and Empty Branches

Another Unidentified Thing.  Part Flower, Part Leaf, Part Berry...Maybe Dead or Maybe Just Blooming

White and Purple Blanket Flowers

Bubbling Brook

After spending the afternoon exploring the arboretum, I decided to head home.  I passed an awesome place on my way home which is now the place I aspire to live.  It's in Dorchester, but in a cute little area of town.  The apartments are build in an old chocolate factory that is next to a small dam.  It's pretty awesome.  I looked the apartments up online, but they didn't have a price.  I did ask, so we'll see if it's way out of my budget.
The Factory and Dam 

Super Cool Building

Finally, what beautiful day would be complete without a trip to the beach?  I visited Nantasket Beach, put my toes in the water of Quincy Bay and enjoyed an end to a gorgeous day.

The Boston Skyline from the beach
My Toes in the Sand (covering up my desperate need for a pedicure!)

Spring is just around the corner and this is going to be a wonderful season!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I read this amazingly descriptive journal, and look at the impressively beautiful photographs, and agree with your dad about your writing/travelogue skills...
    Wow...
    Love you, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooMom

    ReplyDelete