Some cool things about Somerville:
- The beloved marshmallow treat "Fluff" was invented here.
- The earliest Stop & Shop and Bertucci's stores started here.
- One of the earliest American flags was raised on Prospect Hill, above Union Square on January 1, 1776.
- The infamous "Winter Hill Gang" was founded here. Later, James "Whitey" Bulger, would become the leader of the gang and subsequently end up on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list and allude police for 20 some years before being captured in Santa Monica last year.
- It's nickname used to be "Slummerville" before a massive gentrification happened in the 1990's and the entire town cleaned up.
I live on the top floor of a 3-floor house in Winter Hill. The house is on the same street as an industrial laundromat, so parking is never a problem. The street is very quiet and has big beautiful trees on each side of the street. I can either get a bus at the end of the street to get to the orange line, or I can drive to Davis Square and get the red line to go into the city. One is 1.5 miles away, the other is 1.8. Since it's north of the city, it only takes me about 15 minutes to get to work and it's all back roads.
So this weekend, I finally unpacked everything. I do still have a lot of trash to take downstairs (our trash situation is tricky) but I tried to keep it out of the pictures. The only complaint that I have is that it is very very warm. Since it's on the 3rd floor and the window situation is weird as well as having terrible insulation, there isn't much of a breeze, so these 90-95 degree days are brutal. Luckily, I have the best parents in the world who got an air conditioner working in my bedroom.
Since some of you won't ever see the place, and you might be interested, I've included some pictures for you. So, without further ado...
The entry opens up into the kitchen
In the corner I have my desk with my printer, desktop computer, office supplies and school books
Next to my office is my craft corner
The kitchen table is in the middle of the room and the sink is along the back wall
My little fridge and oven
The other countertop
The bathroom is little, but I have a tub and it's clean
The bathroom leads out into the living area (and my display of my favorite pictures)
Under my window, I have my library, records, and seating for guests
On the other side, I have my TV and wardrobe
I have a chair and table where I mostly do work
There is a small partition next to my chair which separates the living area and my bedroom
The dressing table and dresser with my shoes in between
The dresser is in the corner
The door opens out onto a fire escape where I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to grow some plants
Opposite of my dresser is a corner with my little TV so I can watch TV in bed
My bed is against the wall that separates the living area and bedroom
So that's my house. It looks much more crowded and cluttered in these pictures than it actually is. The best part is that I was able to get everything up here from the time I moved out (thanks to my parents). And even better is that somehow, I made it all fit.
I'm looking forward to hosting many dinner parties and entertaining in my home.
Maybe I'll write again before next year!
Adorable! Wow, you'be done souch since we were there. I'm wishing you happiness in tour new place! Xxxxxxxxooooooo9Mom
ReplyDelete