"The holiday display entertained people for decades at the downtown Jordan Marsh department store and then on Boston's City Hall Plaza. It features 59 handmade electromechanical animated adult and children figures, together with bears, dogs, cats and horses. The average figure is 4 feet 8 inches tall. Store owner Eliot Tatelman said when he heard the display was for sale, he had to make a bid. "Think about it -- it was at Jordan Marsh, and now it is with Jordan's Furniture. It's just natural. It fits with everything we've done. It fits with our local company, and we are very excited about it," he said."
It was actually rather creepy, but I can see how it would be a tradition. The little figures reminded me of the creepy dolls from the 1950's. I kinda buzzed right through it, but it seems like it might be something my mother would like, so maybe we'll go.
After Ikea, I decided to take a drive around my hood. I had heard of a little island called Nantasket and wanted to see if I could find it. Of course, this wouldn't be my blog without a history lesson!
The Nantasket Penninsula is a series of islands connected by sandbars.
The native tribe, the Wampanoags, gave Nantasket it's name which means "at the straight" or "low tide place". In 1621, the Pilgrims established a trading post on the island for trading with the Wampanoags. The town of Hull was settled in 1622 but incorporated in 1644.
Hull features Nantasket Beach, with fine, light gray sand—generally considered one of the finest beaches in New England. Beginning the community's development as a tourist resort, in 1825 Paul Worrick established the Sportsman Hotel on Nantasket Avenue. More hotels were built, and by 1840, steamboats made 3 trips a day between the town and Boston. Following the crowds onto the boardwalks were gamblers, pickpockets and confidence men, so Paragon Park was built as a safe place for those seeking amusement. Called a "marvel of fantasy," it once featured a ride based on the Johnstown Flood. The complex closed in 1984 when the property was sold for condominium development. Today, the only surviving remnants of Paragon Park on the boardwalk are the historic carousel and clock tower.
I didn't realize that was a carousel, so I didn't take pics, but I will when I go back to go to the beach!!
Here are some pictures I took from today's adventure:
Taken across the street from the carousel...Notice the rainbow on the right upper corner
Boston skyline from Hull High School
Looking towards the Atlantic
Sunset over Fort Andrew
Steps to the Beach
Looking up to a wind turbine at the point
Hull was very cool and I definitely look forward to going back to explore some more!







No comments:
Post a Comment